Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That I Just Couldn't Care Enough About to Finish

Hello again! I'll be honest, I'm writing this a week before it's due, and I'm not sure that I will finish/post it on time...


This week's Top Ten Tuesday theme (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) is another freebie, about books we've had a hard time with (whether because it was a rough start, or because we couldn't get into at all, or whatever). I chose to go with books I simply could not care enough about to finish. Which is not to say that I won't go back to try to finish them again at a future date...


1. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. RowlingI knew going into it that this was not Harry Potter. It was something completely different, geared toward adults, not fantasy at all. I knew that, so I don't think I was expecting anything other than an Adult Contemporary novel about a man who dies suddenly, and the ripples it causes throughout the community... I was, however, expecting to be carried away into this world and not be bored, because it's still J.K., right? (And, actually, I hadn't read the Harry Potter books yet when I started reading this one). Well, anyway, I was mistaken. I didn't even get halfway through (which, also? It's huge...). Honestly, I kind of hated it. But, I have recently decided to give it another shot via audiobook.
 
As I have recently mentioned, I go through phases of binge-reading Classics. This is the product of one of those binges. I barely remember what happened in the significant portion that I did read, but basically I got bored and tired of the language. I'm not even sure if this is one I will bother to try to finish...
 
I seem to be quite guilty of reading books because of the author, or the cover art, and not necessarily about the content. In this case, I picked the book up because I recognized the author, but then it sounded really interesting too! Except that it wasn't as interesting as I had hoped. I think I was expecting something a little more mind-bending like Cloud Atlas or I Am Memory, or at the very least, as intriguing as The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I will finish it someday, it's just not a priority right now.


4. Winter by Marissa Meyer
This is definitely an "unpopular opinion," but this series kept getting worse for me. I adored Cinder, I just loved it so much and couldn't wait for the sequels! I'm fine with meeting new characters as a series goes on, but I really liked Cinder and Kai (I tend to be fiercely loyal to my book characters...), so I wasn't too happy that they weren't the main characters anymore, so right off I didn't like Scarlet as much, but it was ok. Cress was even more new characters, and new main characters, and even less interesting. And to be honest, I dropped Winter after just a few chapters because I was sick of it. I will finish it eventually, but I don't think I will go on to read Fairest.


5. The Ingenious Edgar Jones by Elizabeth Garner
If memory serves, I picked this one up at Dollar Tree, so it wasn't a huge investment. The cover and title intrigued me. The first few chapters also intrigued me. But then the story started dragging on and I lost interest. I will most definitely finish it at some point, but I have too many others that appeal more right now!


6. The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
I have a habit of not properly researching certain books before buying them/asking for them as gifts. I believe this was one my bestie had sent me because it was on my wish list. I did not, apparently, actually know what it was about. It's a true story, a sort of biography, which is not my favourite genre anyway, and when I was expecting a fiction... it was really unappealing. Maybe one day I'll go back to it...


7. Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
This was pretty sad for me. I had picked up the whole Anne series at the thrift store for like $1, and I was so excited! I had never read any of them before. So I read the first book, and it took me a little longer than usual, but I enjoyed it. I had joined a challenge to read the entire series over the course of the year. But I really just couldn't get into this one! I will definitely try to read it again, and eventually work my way through the series.


8. Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot
It's not so much about a lack of interest with this one, as I couldn't get into it because I haven't read any of the other Princess Diaries books, and stupidly, I didn't realize that this was #11... But, thankfully, it was given to me by my cousin with a bunch of others, so again it wasn't something I invested a lot of money into.


9. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Ok... so it's not because I wasn't interested, exactly. And it's not that it's a long book, of course. And it's not even that I was reading it in the original French, I have an English copy! It's just one of those books that I've kept on the coffee table, so I only read a page or two at a time, when I have nothing better to do. And, also, Maddy from Everything, Everything spoiled the ending for me, so now I almost don't even want to finish it. *sigh*

10. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
This was another one of those Classics that I read on a binge. I have a very vague recollection of what I had read, but all I remember about why I stopped reading was that I was getting tired of the language. That seems to be pretty typical of me with Classic novels. Either the language gets to me, or the story is just completely flat and uninteresting. I'm not even sure if I'll try to finish it, maybe not...


And so there you have it! My top ten books I Just Couldn't Care About Enough to Finish. Have you attempted to read any of these books? What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment