Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Progress Report: Summer 2017

Ok, so I know I say this every time, but seriously... This year is flying by! The summer was a blur... But there were some good times to be had! It wasn't exactly the summer I had anticipated, but I definitely kept busy and had some great adventures!
I'll quickly outline said adventures, for those of you who may be interested! If you are not, feel free to skip this part!
So July was a pretty chill month. Many of my colleagues took their vacations in July, and things were generally quiet on all fronts. I was gifted tickets (from work) for the opening night of a local festival (Festival du Lac des Nations), so my brother and I went to that and had front row seats to the fireworks show. We went on a few little driving adventures, and I had some crafty projects... just taking pleasure in the little things and generally enjoying the season.
August was super busy. My family went to Ontario for the second week of August, so of course the previous week was spent preparing for that. The week that we returned was full of busyness and preparations for the local county fair the following weekend, and my 30th birthday. I had one week to unwind after the fair, and then the next week I was preparing to go away again, this time to New Brunswick to spend an extra long Labour Day Weekend with my best friend! We had a lot of fun going whale watching, spending a day on PEI (visiting the Anne of Green Gables heritage site, L.M. Montgomery's grave, and walking the beach), and some shopping. So much fun!
September started off, of course, with the weekend in New Brunswick/PEI. Life got a bit crazy when I got back... Finances were needing attention, there was an incident at work that aggravated a growing problem, a friend asked me to help her make some decorations for a wedding cake, etc.
 So... with all the adventuring and busyness and personal affairs... I didn't read as much as I would have liked to this summer. I did, however, reach and exceed my Goodreads goal of 52! So, there is that. I decided not to increase it, and just see how many books I would end up reading by the end of the year. This way I won't feel pressured by a number or timing, I can just read to read! (Not that I really stress about the numbers, but I am disappointed when I don't reach a goal).
So, to summarize, in July I read 8 books, 4 in August, and 5 in September (I managed to finish one more before the weekend!).


JULY READS
Future Perfect by Jen Larsen ****
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli ****
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven *****
Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller *****
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle ***
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell ****
All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps by Dave Isay ****
New World: Rising by Jennifer Wilson ****

 

AUGUST READS
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie ****
Everland by Wendy Spinale ****
Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman *****
What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum *****




 
SEPTEMBER READS
13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad **
The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee *****
The Casual Vacancy (audio) by J.K. Rowling **
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater *****
Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst ***

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you read some great books this summer! Glad you loved Thousandth Floor, you know, since it was a gift from me!

    ReplyDelete