Saturday, September 17, 2016

Book Haul: August & September

So, yes, I have said several times that this blog is just for me, just for my records, doesn't matter if I have followers or not, "I'll only publish one post a week so that I can keep up," blah blah blah... But has that stopped me from reading articles with titles such as "How to get more traffic to your blog" or "7 Habits of Successful Book Bloggers" and the like? No... it has not.

I have been inspired. Inspired to take up my keyboard and write several blog posts, many of which I have no idea when I will publish. The following are books I have bought, been gifted, collected, etc. in the last month or so. There are some not pictured, as well. So, starting from the bottom of the pile:


A Great Reckoning - Louise Penny
The newest crime fiction novel in Canadian author Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, just released the end of August. It has become a tradition for my sister & brother-in-law to gift me the newest Louise Penny novel for my birthday, so here it is! I am one chapter in and already feeling at home with my old friends in Three Pines.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper - Phaedra Patrick
Books with long, intriguing titles such as this always get me. This one jumped right into my Chapters online shopping cart all on its own! It is a fiction about an elderly widower who goes on an adventure to discover who his wife was before she met him. It appears to be similar to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - another of my absolute favourites!

Grounded - Kate Klise
I found this book in the discount section at Chapters while vacationing in Moncton, New Brunswick earlier this month. The cover art grabbed my attention, but it really just sounds like it could be an interesting little gem. I have never heard of the author before, am not familiar with her works, but it would appear that she writes a lot of murder mysteries, so if this book is any good, I may try to find some of her other books.

The Vanishing Season - Jodi Lynn Anderson
Not your typical ghost story...Another book from Chapters' discount section, the cover art once again grabbed me with this one. I've already read it, so I won't say too much more here.

Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson
I do not typically read non-fiction, but I had heard of this book before, so when I came across it at a yard sale last weekend, for only $1, I decided to grab it. It is an autobiographical account of the authors travels through Pakistan, building schools for girls, and the adventures (and mishaps) he encounters along the way.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J. K. Rowling
I have started collecting and reading the Harry Potter series for the first time this year! It is a wonderful adventure, and I am falling completely in love with the wizarding world and the beautiful characters in it. My best friend actually sent me both The Goblet of Fire (not pictured) and The Order of the Phoenix for my birthday.

The Little Paris Bookshop - Nina George
I absolutely love the idea of this book - a bookshop owner who "prescribes" his clients just the right book to mend their broken hearts, but has yet to heal his own. My friend's book club read it in August, so I'm anxious to get into it soon so that we can share some thoughts on it.

Lullabies for Little Criminals - Heather O'Neill
Another $1 yard sale find. This coming-of-age fiction captured my attention mostly because of its Canadian author. I'm not sure if I'll actually read this one or not.

The Bone Clock - David Mitchell
While second-hand book shopping with my friend in Moncton, New Brunswick, I happened upon The Bone Clock. Recognizing it as having the same author as Cloud Atlas I was hard-pressed to leave it behind. I have no idea if it is the same genre as Cloud Atlas, but I can't wait to find out!

The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum - Kim Izzo & Ceri Marsh
I love a good etiquette book, and when it comes in the form of self-help, I'm a goner. I actually don't remember where or when I picked this book up, so when I was collecting the other books for the haul photo, I decided to throw it in.

Also not pictured is The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler because, if you haven't noticed, I'm a bit of a sucker for Canadian authors.



What books have you hauled recently? Are any of these on your TBR list, or have you read any of them? Share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment