Monday, January 17, 2011

C-words

Another part of my Resolutions for 2011, which I've decided to integrate into this blog, is that I intend to learn a new word every week. By this, I mean that every week, if I haven't heard an interesting word, I will choose a word which I do not know, or am unsure of, the definition. I will write down the definition of that word here, and then try to use it in it's proper context the following week to exercise my new knowledge and commit it to memory. I am hopeful that this will help me to broaden my vocabulary and also to gain a better understanding of my own language and the words I use and read.


The word for this week (January 16) is:
"Coptic (noun): an Afro-Asiatic language descended from ancient Egyptian and used as the liturgical language of the Coptic church.
Coptic (adjective): of or relating to the Copts, their liturgical language, or their church."
(I used both definitions as I'm not sure how I might use it in a normal sentence this week...)
Since I forgot to choose words the last couple weeks, I will also attempt to learn two other words this week. Coincidentally, they all start with "c"....


 For January 2:
"Conflagration (noun) 1: fire; especially, a large disastrous fire. 2: conflict, war."
For January 9:
"Curmudgeon (noun) 1: archaic: miser. 2: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man."
 So, there you have it. The three C-words I randomly chose for my word-of-the-week exercise. I will check in next week with how well I'm doing at using my new words.

No comments:

Post a Comment